Drafting & CAD Technician Program
The Drafting & CAD Technician Program is designed to help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to become an entry-level drafter. Drafting and computer animated design (CAD) technicians use software to convert engineering and architectural designs into technical drawings. These technicians often work alongside engineers who benefit from seeing digital mockups of their designs. Drafting and CAD technicians support the design process by helping engineers digitally visualize their ideas using computer programs instead of sketching them by hand.
Have a knack for computer software and drawing? If so, you may enjoy being a drafting and CAD technician. These technicians often specialize in architectural, civil, electrical, or mechanical drafting and use technical drawings to design everything from microchips to bridges. This role is ideal for tech-savvy people who wish to work in mechanical design and engineering. Drafting and CAD technicians work with a variety of people –including project supervisors, engineers and architects—in manufacturing design, so if you are an active listener who enjoys collaborating with others, using computer programs and learning how some of the country’s greatest buildings and inventions are made, then you may find this role very rewarding. Analytical people who have a passion for math, computer programs, and visual design also tend to enjoy drafting. Drafting and CAD technicians use mathematical formulas to set specifications for CAD machines and programs, so if you’re hoping to develop strong mathematical and logic skills, this role might be ideal for you.
What is a Drafting & CAD technician and what does their work entail?
Drafting and CAD technicians spend most of their time working on computers and may occasionally visit construction sites to confer with architects and engineers about design plans. These highly attentive technicians create digital diagrams for buildings, machines and tools. Because they use computer programs to make designing more efficient, drafting and CAD technicians find it necessary to remain up to date on new technologies and software.
Other names for this position might include: Drafter, CAD Designer, CAD Technician, CAD operator, Mechanical Designer, Mechanical Drafter
Tasks and work activities for Drafting & CAD technicians may include
- Create graphical representations of mechanical equipment and detailed design drawings using computer-assisted drafting equipment.
- Coordinate with technical workers regarding layouts, detail components, and systems for engineering and architectural designs.
- Draw schematic, orthographic, or angle views that depict functional relationships between components, assemblies, systems and machines.
- Review and analyze specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas and data to understand factors that may affect component designs and engineering procedures.
- Calculate mathematical formulas to develop specifications for design machines and computer-assisted equipment.
- Modify and revise technical designs to correct operating deficiencies and production problems.
Drafting & CAD Technicians may be found in the following industries:
- Electrical Equipment
- Civil Infrastructure
- Consumer Products
- Medical Devices
Information on this page updated from O-net job code: 17-3013 on 12/20/16
- Skills Courses: 21
- Modules: 112 - Try a complimentary course module now
- Time to complete: 1.9 months completing three modules a day
- View the Catalog for more information about this program